Life As We Know It
I never would’ve thought I’d be a stay-at-home mom. My life has always been fast-paced, and I’ve had the “let’s get things done” mentality. But now, being at home has completely changed the importance of certain tasks for me. It’s funny how life changes, and with it, so have my priorities.
I’ve always enjoyed the title of “Mom,” or as I like to call it, “Chaos Coordinator,” along with the many other titles that we moms use daily. Seriously, being a mom is the best job I’ve ever had . . . but man, is it hard.
Do What Is Best for Your Family
How do you feel about the idea of being a stay-at-home mom? You are a full-time maid, cook, chauffeur, playmate, and nap police. To say it is stressful would be an understatement.
Talk with your spouse or significant other and express your feelings and concerns before making a decision that is best for your family. Make a plan together and have realistic expectations of your daily routines. This may eliminate a lot of frustrations that can enter your relationship as you adjust to your lifestyle changes.
Make sure to do something that makes you happy. Being home alone with little people of course has its challenges, but it can also leave you pretty lonely. If you’re extroverted like me, it’s hard not having daily interactions with your coworkers or getting out of the house to grab lunch with a friend.
Here are some suggestions that have helped me:
- Find good friends.
- Join a neighborhood group and find other moms that have children the same age.
- Plan a play date and get to know those other moms who are managing their day-to-day just like you. Be vulnerable, be authentic, and remember that no one is perfect.
- Join a local gym or get out of the house for a walk/run.
- Take care of yourself and find something to get you out of your normal view of four walls.
- Get involved. This could include getting plugged in at your local church, finding a local moms group for coffee/dinner, or volunteering at a local charity. Plug yourself in and give yourself the ability to contribute to something.
What does the future hold? As our children continue to grow up, will we be longing to re-join the work force and sit in an office again?
Whichever decision you make and whatever path you choose, never forget the value that you are for your family. And never forget the sacrifice you’re making today to benefit their future.
As we have seen with COVID-19, life is ever-changing. Our new normal is looking a lot different than most of us would’ve ever thought. So what does that look like for stay-at-home moms? We adjust and adapt with what life throws our way.
One thing is for sure: each day is anything but ordinary, and I wouldn’t have it any other way.