Birmingham Mom Collective is made up of a team of over 35 local writers who have so much to share with the Magic City! We publish three to four original content pieces per week, and we are currently taking applications for an editor to help prep those pieces for publication. If you’re passionate about the mission of Birmingham Mom Collective, skilled with English and grammar, and think this would be a fun role for you, we’d love for you to apply!
This is a content editor position with potential to grow into a managing editor. What’s the difference, you ask? A content editor will edit posts submitted by our writing team and let a different team member know they are ready for publication. In the managing editor role, we want the same person who edits to handle publication and social media scheduling for that content. We want to bring someone on who has interest in the full role, not just editing. Our ideal timeline is 90 days editing, getting to know our team and our business, and then transitioning into the managing editor.
Content Editor Job Description
- Edit submissions from our writing team, catching misspellings and grammar errors.
- Ensure posts follow our formatting guidelines for consistency throughout our site.
- Work closely with the team member who will help you learn more about Birmingham Mom Collective, our culture, and our systems.
- Time commitment: Up to three hours per week with the time worked being very flexible. (Our team is made up of moms, so we don’t expect typical office hours.)
Note: We do not want an editor to change our writers’ styles or voices, so there is no pressure to edit as though you’re formatting a professional paper or journal article. We just want to catch the things writers might overlook.
Managing Editor Job Description
- All of the above but with up to five total work hours per week
- Publish content on the Birmingham Mom Collective website.
- Schedule published content to the Birmingham Mom Collective social media accounts.
- Manage the Birmingham Mom Collective editorial calendar.
- Communicate writing deadlines, content ideas, etc. to our contributor team.
- Work closely with our founders to grow Birmingham Mom Collective as a place for women in the Magic City to feel encouraged.
Note: We are not currently hiring for this position, but we would love to find the right person who will begin as a content editor and transition into managing editor over the next few months.
How to Apply
We do not require that applicants have formal editing experience. Honestly, we just want someone who is passionate about Birmingham Mom Collective, will be fun for our team to work with, and can help tweak and format our posts before they go live to our website. We want a Birmingham woman who is reliable, easy to work with, and a bit flexible as we are learning and growing every day. We do want anyone who edits to be a strong writer, so we will ask for a writing sample to be submitted with the application. That said, you will not be asked to provide content for the site unless you just want to, and those posts would be on a volunteer basis.
To apply, please complete our application HERE. There is no formal resume required, but we have an application deadline (including writing sample) of Sunday, August 8th. All applications will be reviewed next week, with each applicant being contacted by us with next steps and further details.
Please contact us at info [at] birminghammomcollective.com with questions, but we hope to see your application soon!