Put a Label on Me
I have recently earned a new label in this journey I call motherhood: the every-other-weekend-is-a-kid’s-birthday-party-taxi-mom. Anybody with me? Show of hands! And this post is not to call out those moms who do or don’t throw Pinterest-worthy parties, or even those moms who hire party planners for their tots’ parties (you know you’re out there)! I merely want to give a list of birthday party ideas in and around the Birmingham area, as well as a few outside of the box ideas. And when I’m finished, I’d love for YOU to add to my running list — we’re all in this together, Moms!
(NOTE: the prices listed below on all these are current as of my publishing deadline, but please call ahead to be sure the prices are still the same).
The Ultimate List of Birmingham Birthday Party Ideas
- Brusters Ice Cream in Vestavia offers store tours, and then every child makes a sundae. The cost is $245.00 for 15 kids.
- Pigtails and Crewcuts in Vestavia does princess and spa birthday parties for little girls! Prices start at $300 plus $45 (15%) for a tip.
- Do It Yourself Crafts in Homewood (also featured in our Birmingham Bucket List post) offers canvas painting, pottery painting, or tie-dye t-shirt parties. Prices start at $175.00 for 10 kids.
- Holland and Birch Jewelry in Homewood offers jewelry parties. For $200.00, little girls ages 6 and up can enjoy a party with 9 of their friends and each gets to make a necklace and bracelet to take home.
- The Birmingham Zoo birthday parties include zoo admission, ride wristbands, pizza, and birthday cake for 15 people with prices starting at $385.00 (that’s the member rate; $415 for non-members).
- The Birmingham Children’s Theatre offers kid-friendly shows year-round, but did you know you can get a group rate for their shows ($10 per ticket, adults included, if it’s for a birthday party of 10 or more people), then have cake and open presents afterward in either their upstairs or downstairs lobby space? Tables and chairs are included!
- Chick-fil-A Patton Creek offers birthday parties for $9.00 per child (maximum 10 children) and includes a private party room, kids’ meals, ice cream, party hats, and a visit from the Chick-fil-A cow! If the Patton Creek location isn’t convenient to you, check with your local Chick-fil-A to see if they offer something similar.
- Michael’s Craft Stores offer art-themed birthday parties for kids ages 4 and up. For $120, you receive invitations, thank you cards, the use of their craft room, craft supplies, as well as a store employee to help eight children (or more for an additional fee) make one of 10 party-themed crafts. OR for just $50, you get everything just mentioned except you provide your own craft supplies.
- Louise’s Cakes & Supply in Hoover offers cake and cookie decorating classes for your budding birthday chef. Prices start at $375.00 for 10 kids, and everyone gets to take home his or her culinary creation!
- Pelham Civic Complex Ice Skating parties include skate rental, drinks, and paper products for 10 kids for $150.00.
- Mountain Brook Gymnastics offers an hour of fun and instruction in the gym followed by 30 minutes in the party room for refreshments. Prices start at $175.00 for 10 kids.
- The Historic Alabama Theatre Downtown offers kid-friendly shows both in the summer and in December. If your child’s birthday falls within those two time frames, the Alabama Theatre makes for memorable parties (my seventh birthday party was there — awww!) Purchase your desired number of movie tickets through Ticketmaster, then contact the theatre ahead of time to have your child’s name put up on the big screen before the show. That way the entire audience will sing “Happy Birthday” to your child while accompanied by the Mighty Wurlitzer. While there is no party room currently available for rental for cake and ice cream, trust me, the party guests will be thrilled with popcorn and candy refreshments from the concession stand!
- The Dance Foundation in Homewood offers dance parties featuring a 30-minute time of professional instruction followed by refreshments. Prices start at $180.00 for 12 kids.
- Hoop for Fitness offers hula hoop themed birthday parties. They’ll come to you, teach hula tricks, play hula games, and keep your kids (ages 7 and up) entertained for a full hour. Prices start at $125 for up to 15 children. Check out their website for various add-ons such as fire demonstrations and making your own hula hoop.
- Let’s Play in Hoover offers a variety of party options depending on the day of the week and number of children. Prices start at $189.00.
- Villager Yoga offers a variety of party packages, but my personal favorite is the glow-in-the-dark yoga party for kids 5 and up. For $250, your party with 15 friends includes glow-in-the-dark stickers, tattoos, and bracelets to wear for your personal yoga party. Namaste.
- The Birmingham Barons offers a host of party packages for your little sport’s fan starting at $200.00 for 10 children. Your son or daughter will especially love the jumbo-tron shout-out!
- Alabama Splash Adventure offers special group admission rates ($21.95 plus tax per person for birthday party groups of 10 or more), with your choice of indoor ($125) or outdoor ($100) private space to host the refreshment portion of your party. Two pizzas, a cake, and a t-shirt for your birthday boy or girl are included!
- At Helena Hollow, $300 gets you two hours jam-packed with petting farm animals, entertainment, yard games (such as jumbo jenga and barn ball toss), decorations, as well as space in their party barn to eat your cake and ice cream!
- Top Golf has birthday party packages for kids 12 and under starting at $300 for 12 kids. It includes two hours of golf, kids’ meals (think chicken nuggets and fries), as well as unlimited beverages. Teen party packages are also available at a slightly higher cost.
- The McWane Center offers a variety of birthday packages starting at $275, which includes all-day admission for up to 20 guests, free parking passes, and one-hour use of a party room. For an additional fee, the McWane Center will provide cake, ice cream, and paper products.
- California Pizza Kitchen offers birthday parties for your budding chef where children can take a kitchen tour and help make a pizza for $10 per child.
- Birmingham Boulders Rock Climbing is a fantastic way for your child (age 5 or older) and 10 of his or her closest friends to burn off energy and have a blast. Two hours of climbing as well as access to the party room are included in the $250 fee.
- The Oak Mountain State Park Petting Zoo is another great party option starting at $130 for the petting zoo, the party room in the top of the barn, as well as a hayride (for an additional fee)!
- Do a quick Internet search for your local fire station, book a firehouse tour, and have firefighters sing “Happy Birthday” to your little one!
- Bring kids the simple joy of treats at the park! Doodles Italian Ice near The Summit has an adjacent field kids can run around and celebrate the birthday boy or girl while eating their frozen treat. Magic City Sweet Ice is across the street from Patriot Park in West Homewood, and Steel City Pops and Hero Donuts are both walking distance from Homewood’s Central Park. Buy the kids treats and let them run free.
- And last but not least, you can never go wrong with renting a pavilion at your local park and having special guests come to you such as an ice cream truck (contact Suzie with the Goodies Ice Cream Truck, (205) 915-4871 or [email protected]) or hire the Face Painting Fairy to come work her magic. I’ve seen her work first-hand, and it is nothing short of magical!
Did I miss your favorite Birmingham birthday spot? If so, please let me know in the comments. And all you Moms out there, don’t forget the all-important RSVP!